Saturday, June 23, 2012

Good Feelings

Every now and then I try to keep on a schedule of pseudo transcendental meditation. Pseudo in that there's a specialized technique that gurus charge thousands of dollars to guide you through. I go off of stuff I've read in articles, techniques from various blogs found from googling the subject. When I someday have thousands leftover after paying monthly bills, I'll hire one.


Today, in trying to dissipate a lingering spring anxiety I seem to get every year, I sat down and decided to grab 20 minutes of such meditation. And it was good. In fact, the tingling I became aware of made me giggle. And the tingling felt really quite weird.  And I giggled some more, taking me out of it, which was a relief, because the good feeling was overwhelming.


It made me remember something a friend once told me. He was a little older than me, and mentioned that he found as life goes by you just become more tolerant of pain. And he found himself feeling really good one day and felt like something was wrong.


The fact the we feel so weird about feeling good makes me think that there are many elements to modern life that need to be revised. Plugging our conscious into a course that welcomes its daily dose of anxiety is just stupid. Perhaps we feel guilty because we've moved on from our animal days and don't necessarily have direct, fanged predators breathing in the bushes. Some of us do maybe, but I'm lucky not to, unless a neighbor starts trying to feel good with bath salts. Anyway, my seeming everyday problems probably shouldn't take precedence in my frontal cortex over sitting cross-legged, eyes closed, and giggling. 


And I feel good about this little pep talk I just made public.

2 comments:

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

Reminds me of a song by Promise Ring.

"If we suffer never
We won't know if we're out of the woods. We won't know if we are feeling good."

We have to catch up sometime. Maybe work on something together again.

I'm going back to the photography corporation again for the summer.

The Igloo Oven said...

We should catch up! With summer beers!

You doing the Seadog? How's Pgi culture these days?