Thursday, October 13, 2011

Raw Men

Ramen noodles have been fine cuisine to me lately. I get excited about eating them. Not only for budgetary reasons. I've discovered some grocery stores in my neighborhood that carry a wide variety of flavors, beyond the regular Oriental, Beef, Shrimp and Chicken. I remember there being a wide array when I was a teenager but have seen the myriad of options wane over the years until our recent discovery. In fact I had been thinking of them not long ago, wondering what had happened to those flavors of old. I even tried looking them up online. Perhaps the "law of attraction" really works and I willed them back into existence. But I'm so glad that once again I get to enjoy
Pork
Roast Pork
Roast Beef
Roast Chicken
Chili!
Chicken and Mushroom
Creamy Chicken
Picante Chicken
Picante Beef
flavors again. I think we have some others in the mix.
Ramen was a staple of my lunch diet as a lad. I had a friend who called it Raw Men and I thought that was funny. I think Ramen made it's entry into my life when I was 9. Before that I loved the fuck out of Campbell's Chicken Noodle. Chicken and Stars. I had a Vietnamese friend and we'd have homemade ramen for lunch when I was over at his house. This was when I was 8. Then when I was 9 and my mom brought Oodles of  Noodles home from the grocery store and I tasted them and realized I actually had them before, I was ecstatic.

3 comments:

Radioactive Tori said...

I lived on those in college! Just recently my kids have started eating them. I'm going to have to look harder because all I have seen are the "regular" flavors, not the fancy ones you named. Chili sounds awesome!

The Igloo Oven said...

Chili is great! Probably my personal favorite. Mariano's has the really good selection.

Radioactive Tori said...

Stupid Marianos! There isn't one near me but when my mother in law comes to pick up my kids she always brings stuff because she has gotten my kids hooked on things that we can't find unless I want to drive an hour to get to the closest one. Dumb things like hamburger buns that they love. Nothing I'd drive an hour for, yet when she brings it everyone is happier. I am going to have to check and see if there is one closer that I am not aware of because seriously, chili ramen sounds amazing!