Sunday, March 14, 2010

the pike projected


The Whiskey Pike movie has become my obsession, my passion project. The film adaptation will be my main focal point over the coming year/years until it is being projected at theaters.

I spent quite a few months pounding out a variety of projects but nothing went further than a second or third draft. I feel its time to really hone in on a project and tighten both the creative and business ends of it. So since I can't stop thinking about this one, I am going to give into it. I'm probably on my 5th draft of the feature screenplay, and although I'm happy with it, I'm continually revising and playing with it.

At first it was looking to be very much a period piece, but on further introspection and thinking about the project I've decided that period pieces are in danger of getting so caught up into the dramaturgy and taking themselves so so seriously that they fall flat. I've begun playing with the setting of the piece to maintain a somewhat antiquated world with getting myself pinned the exactitude of the 1800s. It's important to me to keep it a low tech world, so what I'm experimenting with is a modern -esque where the power grid has completely collapsed, so every one back to "re-pioneering" the world, and crafting sustenance from the ground, from one's hands. Although I'm not interested in dwelling upon it as a post-apocalyptic piece, I am interested in the platform of a frontier on top of a failed infrastructure.

My very good friend James N. Kienitz Wilkins is interested in directing, I'll be producing and performing as Shane Bowermaster. I'm looking forward to collaborating with him again. We made quite a few movies growing up and into college and beyond college.

Now it is time to fund raise, fund raise, fund raise. One of the best things you can do is buy the illustrated book, some of the royalties will be going into the film fund.

Order Order!

1 comment:

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

Awesome, brother. I'll be sure to make it out for a fundraiser, and I hope you can return the favor me and Fauser's thing that should hit the stage in the fall.